<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Tuesday, June 07, 2005
 
More Guns
Auto Ordnance has long been a favorite 1911 manufacturer of mine, though I missed the boat on buying one of their pistols when they still cost $350. Quality has not increased but as they made a name for themselves, their prices went up accordingly. Still affordable, but not quite the same amazing deal.

I was wandering around the net last night for production 1911s that fit my requirements without making me screw around with them too much. By lucky happenstance I ran across a new (to me) Auto Ordnance pistol:



I like it. I've pretty much given up on finding an acceptable production pistol under $2000 without the front slide serrations (I could customize my own Springfield Mil-spec but that's a pain in the ass when I have little free time), so the only real gripe I have the Custom there is the grip safety: I prefer a high grip style, not the 'speedbump' style. However, it's a minor consideration for all the rest of the features you get for a mere $650 including shipping and transfer. Probably cheaper from other sites, also; I found it on Impact Guns.

So. Before I had the Kimber Tactical II picked out for my next 1911 to buy (12-16 months in the future...) but this Auto Ordnance ousted it. It's at least $150 cheaper and the included front strap serrations would bring the real savings up to at least $225. While the Kimber might be minutely more precise, my skill is hardly at the point where I'll be able to take advantage of it.

A major problem with 1911s these days is the sighting systems they all use. The Hienie or Novak low profile, ramped style sights might look slick, but the day you need to rack the slide with only one hand, you'll die before you get it to work. There are two good methods or one-hand racking that I know of: hooking the front edge of the rear sight on either your belt or shoe. Those are the only ways I've ever had work out with a 1911, and with a ramped rear sight it's damn near impossible. King-Tappan style sights are the sights I want the most, but once you cut the dovetail for a given sight at the rear of the slide, there ain't no going back without major gunsmithing skill.

Okay, yeah you can use the front sight in a pinch, but it's tough to do correctly in a peaceful setting, much less with someone else trying to kill you. Try doing it with your off hand!
- posted by Dave @ Tuesday, June 07, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter