<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Sunday, May 22, 2005
 
Other movie stuff
Besides Ocean's Crap, I also got out Darkness, a horror flick, and the first two discs of Deadwood's first season. I'm watching Darkness now and watched the Deadwood episodes overnight.

I really like Deadwood. I'll talk more about it after I finish the season, but it's great how they portrayed the West and some of the significant people like Hickok, Jack McCall, Calamity Jane, etc. Western movies almost always take the romantic view, and as a result most people know jack shit about the real Wild West. I don't know if Hickok was armed with his trademark Colt Navy revolvers in Deadwood, but it looked like it. I don't know that type of handgun well enough to say without better pictures and something to compare them to. Also I don't believe he wore his guns like that: in a general fashion, yes, but I think they're slung too low and back on his hips.

Speaking of the Wild West (horrible segue) what the fuck is with the History Channel being 100% uninformed about guns? Some jackass was on there the other day saying how shooting a 44 magnum revolver could knock you down if you didn't grip it well. Note this was not getting shot and knocked down, a far more common misconception, but actually shooting it. There are tons of other examples, but that one was a record mark on the stupid scale.

About Darkness; it's creepy and suspenseful so far, and I love the house. Anna Paquin is a lot prettier with her mouth closed... her teeth freak me out. She has to be SO rich by now, you'd think she could get at least invisalign braces or something. For Christ's sake. I digress. The father is suitably freaky and good at playing the crazy guy, but the mother seems misfit; she's not acting in a natural fashion. The young kid is kind of weird. I like Anna Paquin's acting for the most part, but it's not amazing. I just hope they explain some of the random little acts (the picture of the three women, the ghost in the room under the stairs, etc) and don't just leave us to wonder. If it strikes me fashion I'll write a better review later.
- posted by Dave @ Sunday, May 22, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter