<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
 
Hey, yet more random stuff
It was suggested in the comments at some blog (SayUncle probably) that the revolver in Deanimator was a Webley, seen here. I disagree, as the Webley is a break top, and it's obviously not a break-top clearing action when our hero empties the pistol. I'm guessing an early model S&W. Anyway, I really want a Webley Mark VI some day... though maybe converted to 45 ACP (I think they can do that...). 455 Webley ammo is a bit 'spensive.

I'm watching this movie on Scifi about two thieves who are on a religious quest or something. I only watched about half of it. Anyway, it's called Soulkeeper I think, and one of the actors (the one that doesn't blow himself up at the end) looks a hell of a lot like a younger Ray Liotta. Kind of confusing.

It seems the older and wiser I get and the more knowledge I accumulate, the less I enjoy movies and television. Soon my only refuge will be in books, not that that's a wholly bad thing.

Sometimes in science fiction you're better off simply not trying to explain your universe's technology. That way in fifty years when humans can actually do the things your books suggest, you won't look like an idiot when you're wrong. Hard scifi (as in books that actually do have a very deep basis in science) is limited to the near future, generally. I enjoy the other kind more, though I suppose at that point we're talking fantasy.

You know that commercial where the father is sitting in a chair watching TV and a channel he wants to watch is blocked? He asks his daughter what's up, and she says he has to ask his wife for permission, and then she walks in with her hands on her hips and says 'No.' What a flacid tool that guy is.

I'm not a fan of big pieces of garlic. I really enjoy the taste, and garlic salt/powder is great, but actual chopped garlic is gross. For example; when eating a slice of fresh garlic bread, biting into a large chunk of soft, mushroom like garlic is an awful experience. I like that about as much as finding hard bits in a hamburger or hair in my sesame chicken. Okay, I've never found hair in my sesame chicken, but the hard bits in hamburger thing is nasty and happens all too often.

Why do they put shrimp in egg rolls? And why does it only happen sometimes, with no noticeable pattern, so I have to examine each proposed bite of egg roll before I take it to ensure no shrimp finds its way into my mouth? Generally when we order Chinese I get 6-8 egg rolls to enjoy over the next two days as snacks; sometimes I'll go through them all without finding a single bit of shrimp, and others it'll look like someone used the egg roll batter as a bloody shrimp net. Yeah, we always order from the same place, I'm not dumb enough to miss something that obvious.

I kind of like power outages. The last one we had was a little over... two years ago, I think, in March or April. It was an ice storm and we lost power for about four days. We have a cast iron wood stove in the living room that we use for heat in those situations, and it would get VERY warm in that room, like 85+ degrees, while staying below 45 in the rest of the house. My parents were crazy enough to sleep in their bedroom across the house, but I slept in the living room to keep the fire going. I can't wait until I have a little house of my own with a fireplace and wood stove that I can use just for the hell of it. There's nothing quite like laying back on a soft couch, reading a good book by candlelight and being surrounded with the smell of a wood fire.

I'm running out of stops on this thought train. It probably wasn't obvious but I was writing about whatever popped into mind thinking about the previous post; the power outage thing was because we last got Chinese from a different takeout place during that ice storm (and the sesame chicken was hair free, though very spicy). Obvious where egg rolls fit with the post above. Above that... well, it was a bit more random. The last few posts flowed more because I had the TV off, where before I had more influences on my mind.
- posted by Dave @ Wednesday, May 18, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter