<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Saturday, May 21, 2005
 
Gladiator
I'm watching the movie Gladiator just now. When I watch movies I've seen before that aren't fluff I usually try to learn more about the subject matter (and am usually disappointed by the inaccuracy of the movie) by reading on the Wiki and such.

Marcus Aurelius is the emperor at the beginning of this movie. Unfortunately for the writers, he wasn't the only emperor in reality; he co-ruled with Lucius Aelius Verus, a result of fighting wars on two fronts (Marcus Aurelius handled Germania in the west, Lucius Aelius Verus took care of the Parthians--I think--in the east). Seems strange that they didn't even mention that fact, but I guess it would have ruined the story. Okay, I fact checked my ass and it turns out Licius Verus died 11 years before Marcus Aurelius, so it wouldn't have been an issue for the successor of Marcus Aurelius, our buddy Commodus.

It's not like the movie is particularly true to history in other senses anyway, though. Commodus ruled for 12 years and was murdered by the prefect of his Praetorian guard, IIRC there was no such general as Maximus, and so on. Gladitorial combat was hardly the way they portrayed it. I'm a bit rusty on this next bit, but I believe Lucilla, Commodus's sister, tried to poison him and was exiled and subsequently killed. Oh well. It's a damn good movie anyway.



Okay, not really about the movie, but I love late Roman armor and weaponry, both for functionality and beauty. A decked out Legionnaire must have been quite a sight to behold, and the simple genius behind the pilum is just stunning. I could go on for a long time about my fascination with Rome, but I'm tired. Maybe some other time.
- posted by Dave @ Saturday, May 21, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter