<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Thursday, April 14, 2005
 
Test (Picture crap)... okay, it worked, Gun P0rn time
This should show a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" in 44 Magnum, Blued...


Okay, hot, it worked. For me, at least.

I'm lusting after a stainless version of that pistol in 45 Colt. While I'd love a S&W M25...



...I think I'll have to go with the Ruger instead. For one, the S&W is significantly weaker, and shooting high pressure loads through it will rapidly destroy the gun. Within 2000 rounds, at best, I've read. Rugers, however, are known for their strength and are the recommended revolvers for bringing out the full potential of the 45 Colt cartridge.

For those that don't know, the 45 Colt is one of the most versatile large bore handgun cartridge out there. There's the whole 44 Magnum argument, but the moment you look at the case capacity and surface areas of the 44 Magnum (bore .429") vs the 45 Colt (bore .452") you can see why the 45 Colt is superior. It's similar to the reason the 30-06 will always be more versatile than the 308 Winchester, except the difference is even more pronounced, because the bore diameter is also greater.

The larger powder capacity allows for larger bullets, and the significantly greater surface area on the base of the bullet in the 45 Colt (0.578 vs 0.642 square inches, which is about an 11% increase) allows for much lower pressures while achieving the same energy and momentum. Properly loaded 45 Colt cartridges can hit harder than the hottest 44 Magnum loads.

Now if there was just a modern, strong lever action in 45 Colt... oh, wait, there is! Now, I prefer a checkered grip and forend, but this should do just fine:



Or, if I win the lotto, since I'm pretty sure this is fairly 'spensive:



I like the squared off lever of the Marlin (bottom), but I don't know that I'd pay $250 more just for that. She sure is a beauty, though.

- posted by Dave @ Thursday, April 14, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter