<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
 
Israeli Carry
I've been practicing Condition 3 drawing, also known as the Israeli draw or Israeli carry, because frequently around the house I leave my pistol unchambered but the magazine loaded.

It's actually pretty snappy when I do it right, a fraction of a second slower than my normal Condition 1 draw, but it's somewhat hit or miss. I make an effort to draw more swiftly, which is a mistake, because sometimes I don't pull the pistol far enough out of the holster before pushing forward to my midline and twist my wrist. In a life or death situation that could result in dropping the gun, or more dramatically in breaking my own wrist if the adrenaline was pumping enough.

Even when I do get the first stage of the draw right I don't always rack the slide well. Sometimes I miss the serrations by gripping too low, on the frame, maybe about 5% of the time. I'm getting better, but say a combined failure rate of 8-10% between the two major errors and it's just not acceptable. Nobody in their right mind would carry a handgun that malfunctioned 8-10% of the time, and the same standard should be applied to the draw.

At least it's a safe draw; I don't sweep anywhere but my target. I think with practice it'll come more naturally, but the Israeli draw will never be as smooth or fast as a normal strongside Condition 1 draw. I don't recommend it unless you can put a lot of time into practicing it. I also do not recommend practicing the way I do, with live ammunition. Get some snap caps.
- posted by Dave @ Wednesday, April 20, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter