<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Thursday, April 14, 2005
 
Cartridge Stuff
I wrote out a long, 2000 word essay (only half done!) last night on cartridges and the factors that influence their effectiveness, blah blah blah. Then I actually READ the website that made me think to do it, and realized it was the same thing. Shit. So I wasted 3 hours pretty much doing the exact same thing this guy did already. Here is one of his pages.

Short version:
A lot of people like to say that since the 9mm Luger and 45 ACP have similar energy levels, the 9mm is as valid a choice. That's horseshit. At handgun velocities the permanent cavity is all that matters, and momentum is far more important than energy, leaving us desiring a bullet with a moderate velocity and large mass/bore over a fast, light/narrow bullet. Obviously big and fast is the best, but the game of semi-automatic pistols is one of trade-offs and compromises. If you want a big and fast bullet, grab a hot 45 Colt or 44 Magnum revolver and get to it.

I think the best option for me is a 230gr 45 ACP +P or 45 Super in a 1911 Government. I would absolutely not shy away from using a very large but relatively slow soft lead bullet, like a 300gr 45 Colt at 750 FPS, and if I buy that Ruger Redhawk below I'll certainly carry it.

For anyone else, the best option appears to be to determine your recoil threshold and work around it. If you can only shoot a 9mm, fine, get some 147gr whatevers and load 'em up. If you like revolvers, a good option is 158gr 38 Special +P wadcutters. 40 S&W? Great, because the flat nose is excellent for creating a nice permanent wound. Get some 180gr factory loads and you're good to go. 44 Special is a potent cartridge and can be had in such firearms as the S&W 696 without the expense of 44 Magnum strength. 45 ACP is best loaded with a 230gr bullet at whatever pressure your handgun and you can handle. Even 45 Super is not as high pressure as a 9mm Luger (28,500 vs 35,000 PSI, IIRC).

Strictly speaking, the shorter the barrel the larger bore I would want. That is because a larger bullet can be pushed to the same momentum as a smaller one for a much lower pressure. Short barreled revolvers especially are known for tremendous muzzle blast, which is the result of high pressure loads. So if I had to choose a 2" barrel revolver, I'd rather have a 45 Colt or 44 Special than a 357 Magnum. 38 Special +P is underpowered for my tastes from snubbies, but I'd take one in a pinch for bellybutton work.
- posted by Dave @ Thursday, April 14, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter