<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Sunday, January 09, 2005
 
Contract
So, about my contract. I know I've talked about what I wanted, but who knew if I would actually get it? I'll try to explain what it means and how my life will go once I ship out, in case anyone is interested. If you're not, skip this post.

My MOS is 11X, or the Infantry Enlistment Option. I have a few options attached to my contract, one being the Option 40, and two others which are bonuses and the Army College Fund (I was wrong about the amount for the ACF, by the way, it's only about $70,000 total.) The Option 40 guarantees me a slot at RIP, Ranger Indoctrination Program, and includes Airborne. My enlistment period is officially 4 years 19 weeks, and I ship out officially on June 20th but MSG Pierce said it would be realistically the 15th or so. I believe I'll get another bonus for having more than 30 credits and depending on what I do while in the Delayed Entry Program I will ship as an E-2 or E-3. E-2 for sure, but possibly an E-3. That's a pay grade, in case you don't know; E for enlisted an 2 or 3 for grade 2 or 3. E-2 is Private (above E-1) and E-3 is Private First Class.

OSUT (One station one unit) Training will take place at Fort Benning, Georgia, home of the infantry. That's 17 weeks. Next I'll get to stay at Fort Benning for Airborne School, 3 weeks. After Airborne I get to go through RIP, another 3 weeks at Benning. Somewhere between schools I'll probably have a holdover or two, depending on class schedules. I'll be going through RIP in the best (kind of) period of the year in Georgia, where it will be somewhat cooler and a relief from the heat and humidity I'll enjoy throughout OSUT. After RIP, I pray to get assigned to 2nd Battalion at Fort Lewis, WA. I'll let you know when the time comes.

I'd thought I'd have something worthwhile to say, but I really don't. I have six months to get ready for the buildup to the toughest damn thing I'll ever do; people like to say how tough basic is, but compared to RIP and then Ranger Battalion life it's a cakewalk. I'm progressing into a serious training regimen in the next few weeks and so I don't know how much I'll be posting, especially once school starts in two weeks. I have some stuff to say but often I'll try to write about it and come out more confused than I was when I sat down to focus my thoughts. Hopefully I'll get my act together soon.

- posted by Dave @ Sunday, January 09, 2005
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter