<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Sunday, November 28, 2004
 
The State of Dave
I've been kind of following politics again the last few days, and one thing that really stuck out was the Cox and Forkum cartoon-commentary on the Iran / Britain+Germany+France (here) nuclear deal. Just one thought: whatever happened to following the spirit of the law as well as the letter? There's this little thing called a preemptive strike, and I think maybe we should thinkg about exercising it on Iran. They've already threatened us with nuclear weapons if they can get them, and in my world there are three words that combine to justify the use of force against someone else: opportunity, capability, and intent.

So far they have satisfied intent and are very hard at work on the capability. Opportunity is a given because they won't employ a MIRV or anything like that, they'll simply drop a few suitcase nukes in NYC or DC. If 95% of illicit drugs can get into this country without detection, so can a nuke or three. How about we just say best two out of three, screw the capability, and crush them? The US ain't gonna be tried in court like I would be for shooting someone in self defense, so we have a little more flexibility.

Anyway, on to other things. I've been writing a bit recently, though not as much as I'd like. I'm probably spending too much time thinking about the craft and not enough actually doing it, but there it is. The writing is coming along, that's what's important. I have one fantasy story going pretty well and several others in development, including a decent size creation project.

My training is coming along very well also; I've shed almost all of my excess fat and seen some impressive gains in strength and endurance in the last few months. I'm maintaining my running at about 50 miles a week, and I'm looking for crosstraining methods for the winter. Snowshoe running looks promising, and I'll probably spend some time on XC Skis if we get decent snow this year. For the spring I'd love to start kayaking, and swimming is definitely on my list. If I can afford it I'll buy some rollerskis in the spring as well. I'm stepping up my aerobic training from just running to running and biking supplemented with boxing and martial arts training--not the Tae Bo shit either, I mean rounds against a heavy bag and shadow boxing type stuff. I dug out the old piston rowing machine too; it makes me feel muscles I didn't know existed in my back and forearms. Good stuff, but I have to watch my left shoulder: I really do not want a repeat of my torn deltoid. The joint has enough problems being crooked and rolled forward without a lot of pain and aching, thank you very much.

I've got a new/old project to occupy my creative energies for a while. I've wanted to redo my room for some time, and now I think I finally will. It's kind of my obligation to my parents to fix up my room after an entire lifetime of abuse anyway, but when I'm finished this will be the nicest room in the house. I'd love to take some before/during/after shots and post them, and I probably will, but they'll have to wait until I get around to getting my own website.

Finally, a lot of good friendships have blossomed in the last few weeks, a fact which I am eternally grateful for. I'm happy, and I'm on a good path. Thanks to all of you that are making my life worth living and keeping me going.

- posted by Dave @ Sunday, November 28, 2004
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter