<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Tuesday, November 30, 2004
 
Just Thinking
I don't have any health insurance right now: I lost it when I turned 19 because I'm not currently enrolled in college. I made the decision and I don't mind, it's just odd to think that if I get hurt I'm totally screwed. That's life, I guess. The good news is none of my old injuries are flaring up and since I'm not planning on getting hit by a truck any time soon it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm taking the Rochester PD civil service exam soon; I should ace it, because I always ace tests like this--and I mean really ace, like close to perfect--but even if I do it doesn't really mean a whole lot. I'm still just a HS graduate with no college degree and two disorderly conducts from two years ago. I'm worried my white male from the upper middle class status will work against me. I'm just hoping that if I do well enough on the test, if I do a lot better than the average applicant, things will swing my way.

I'm not sure where I'll be this time next year, though I only can imagine two scenarios. One is at six months in the USMC or Army, and the other is a soon-to-be-cop. I'm ready to follow either path, though given how much my life has changed I'd honestly prefer the second for now. I still want to serve and if I have to go now, I will, but I don't think I'm really ready to leave anymore. I'd just rather make the choice myself to go rather than be forced into it because all of my other options fizzled.

Speaking of leaving, it hurts me to think that I'll have to leave this town. There's so much I love about Fairport, and I've lived here 17 years. All of the memories I really cherish--the ones that swell my chest with pride or bring tears to my eyes--they're all here. It's easy to say I'm going to leave but when I walk the Erie Canal or run the leaf strewn trails in Mendon East; when I stand on Indian Hill and look out across the town or at Woodcliff after a nice run on the Crescent Trail, it feels so wrong to leave it all. I don't know where I'll end up, but I wish it could be here. Maybe I will.

- posted by Dave @ Tuesday, November 30, 2004
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter