<$BlogRSDURL$>
Man At Arms
Monday, October 25, 2004
 
Drafting
I'm not posting much because I've been dealing with stressful issues in my life, and I just never think to sit down and write on here. I have a few essays in the works that I think should turn out well, but they're coming along slowly. It's hard for me to write about news items because I read 25 other blogs every day and I don't really want to just mimic everyone else's thoughts or recap them; I prefer writing essays on more general topics, essays that will have meaning after Nov. 2 and don't deal with fleeting moments in history.

That problem of contamination is also the main obstacle for me when it comes to creative writing. I've read so many books and I have such an excellent memory that anything I think to write I can immediately relate to half a dozen (and frequently more) well written stories I've read, and I feel like I'm being very unCreative when every other sentence some other author's words pop in my head. I want to create something new, something that is all mine. While I understand that that is a very unrealistic proposition, and to some extent every writer or artist or composer integrates elements of other works into their own, it just feels like cheating. Maybe some day I'll figure it out.

- posted by Dave @ Monday, October 25, 2004
|

Powered by Blogger
Site Meter